History of Grace Honor Bushman and Emanuel Richard Lundquist

Lundquist, Emanuel Richard    Bushman, Grace Honor

By Ann Laemmlen Lewis

Grace Honor Bushman was the seventh of ten children born to Charlotte Turley and Jacob Bushman. She joined the family June 15, 1873, twelve years after her parents had crossed the plains as members of the great Mormon Exodus from Nauvoo to the Utah Territory, where they had established a home in Lehi Utah, about thirty miles south of Salt Lake City.

The first group of settlers to Lehi arrived in September of 1850. During the spring and summer of 1851, at least thirty other families arrived in what is now Lehi. Martin Bushman and his family were among these early settlers. Grace’s father, Jacob Bushman, was about twenty years old at that time. He and his family lived in a vacant log hut and helped with the first harvest in Lehi. These early Lehi pioneers fought to make the land “blossom as a rose” as their prophet leaders envisioned. They fought the grasshoppers, dug ditches to bring in water, built fences and hauled wood from the mountains.

Through these trying times, residents of Lehi prospered and their settlement grew. In 1852 Jacob went off to California to help settle the San Bernardino area. It was there he met and married Charlotte in 1857. Their first daughter, Priscilla, was born and only lived a year and a half. Jacob and Charlotte returned to Lehi in 1858, where the rest of their ten children were born. In 1864, Jacob and Charlotte were sealed in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City.

Grace’s father was a farmer. Virtually every man in the early years of settlement, regardless of skills, education, or preference, was a farmer. It was a matter of survival to work the soil and raise a few animals. No fancy crops were planted then, just wheat and corn for bread and cornmeal mush, a few potatoes, squash, and other vegetables. Some had chickens and sheep for wool, and some had walked dairy cows across the plains.

Bushman, Jacob snapshot

For many years Grace’s father farmed with his brothers. During this time, the Bushman family grew. Charlotte Amanda was born July 31, 1860; Theodore Martin was born October 20, 1863; Frances Ann was born April 17, 1866, and died 26 January 1874; Sarah Erminie was born March 17, 1869; Mary Emma was born October 5, 1871; Grace Honor was born June 15, 1873; Jacob Isaac was born March 16, 1876; Ida Roxana was born September 14, 1879; and Ella Isadora was born February 3, 1884.

As their family grew and prospered, so did the settlement called Lehi. In the late 1860s most of the town’s inhabitants still lived within the fort that was erected early on as protection from the Indians, but the gates were removed and the dirt security wall was gradually demolished or left to deteriorate. Gradually, homes were built around the fort, and a town with irrigation ditches and wide, but muddy streets emerged. In 1867 telegraph wires reached Lehi, and by 1872 the Utah Southern Railroad reached Traverse Mountain, just northwest of town. Electricity, however, did not come to Lehi until after the Bushmans had relocated. In 1890, kerosine lamps were installed around the town to bring light, and the year 1899 brought the first electricity.

In 1880 the Lehi Irrigation Company was formed. During this time most farmers had a patch of sorghum used for molasses. The single most important event in the economy of Lehi was the construction of the Utah Sugar Company’s first factory. Sweeteners were critical to the bland diets of the Utah pioneers. Mormon leaders learned that sugar could be obtained in large quantities from sugar beets, and so the Church helped to organize this first factory.

Jacob Bushman farmed sugar beets as long as he lived in Lehi. A photograph of his brother, Martin Benjamin Bushman working in his sugar beet field taken in his later years hangs now in the Lehi Museum. The factory provided jobs for hundreds of men and the economy and commerce in Lehi multiplied. In 1860, Lehi had a population of 831. By 1880, the population had grown to 1,538.

Grace Honor Bushman grew up in this frontier world of making something from not very much. Hard work was expected. She and her older sisters no doubt learned at their mother’s side. In those days young women were expected to keep a home immaculately clean and sweet, to cook, to knit, darn, sew and patch, spin, weave, embroider and make lace, either knitted or crocheted or both.

The family attended the Lehi Ward where David Evans served as bishop for twenty-eight years. In the early 1870s Brigham Young felt that the territory’s economic well-being was too tightly intertwined with that of the nation. He encouraged settlers to resolve their financial difficulties by living the United Order. Lehi’s United Order did not require members to consecrate all their property and labor, though most local participants did. In 1860, the Bushman family listed $200 as the value of their personal estate. At that point, they owned no land. By 1870, they listed $300 worth of land and $400 worth of personal estate or belongings. The 1880 Federal Census did not list the value of properties. How living the United Order affected the family, we are not sure.

Lundquist, Grace Honor with children

In 1876, a huge centennial celebration was held in Lehi. It began with the firing of one hundred guns in honor of the years that had passed since the signing of the Declaration of Independence. The townspeople then gathered in the Meeting House for a stirring patriotic program with music, speeches, song, and readings. These were followed by toasts and sentiments, and during the afternoon, sporting events. For the children, one of the greatest treats was their first ever taste of ice cream, sold by the Israel Evans family in bowls for 5 cents or 10 cents. Because money was so scarce at that time, many children asked for “one five cent dish with three spoons.” That afternoon the children participated in a special dance, and at dark, the first fireworks ever seen in Lehi were set off. It must have been a day to be remembered by the Bushman children.

Grace’s older siblings probably attended the Thurman School. When the railroad business came through the northeast part of Lehi in the early 1870’s, it brought more families and more school-aged children. The old Thurman School which had been built in 1860 could no longer accommodate all of the children. This first school had a sod fireplace for heat and light and homemade furniture, sturdy, but sparse. The students worked at large smooth writing planks while sitting on three-legged stools or rough hewn benches. There were no blackboards or writing slates, few pencils, and very little paper. Learning materials, which were shared by two or more students, consisted of a few readers, spellers, and almanacs. The Bible and Book of Mormon, which were found in nearly every LDS household, were the most frequently used books.

The Ross Schoolhouse was built just three blocks from the railroad depot and was dedicated on 26 January 1873, the year Grace was born. This was a one-room wooden school building. In 1879 a large adobe room was added on, made possible by the Lehi School District and the Lehi Sunday School. They raised money for the building through concerts, dances and entertainments. Church workers hauled rock, adobes, lumber and other building materials to the site and built the school under the direction of the school trustees.

Preston Thomas was the first school teacher in Lehi. When the new schoolhouse was built, J. Edgar Ross became the school master. He taught in Lehi for twenty-nine years. He was a veteran of the Black Hawk War and both he and Thomas were legendary for their use of the disciplinary stick. Many former students left journal accounts of how they hated school because of how free their teachers were with the whipping stick. Grace’s uncle, John Bushman recalled that on one occasion Thomas “was chastising one of his unruly pupils with a long willow when the little boy jumped out the open door and tried to escape. But because of Thomas’s long legs, he was able to overtake the youngster and ‘brought him back, a wiser and better boy–and he never tried it again.’” The children were probably thankful that school was only in session a few months each year.

In 1884, just after Ella, their tenth child, was born, the Bushman family was called on a mission to help colonize St. Johns, Arizona. Grace was nine years old. The Bushmans sold their home in Lehi, bid farewell to friends and family members there, and prepared to spend the rest of their days helping to establish a branch of Zion in the southern parts of the Mormon corridor. In January of 1876, Jacob’s younger brother, John, and several other men from Lehi, along with 200 others, had been called by President Brigham Young as “Arizona Missionaries,” and sent to make their homes and establish the United Order in Arizona. Jacob and his family would be joining them there.

The trip was not an easy one. They took forty head of cattle and traveled by covered wagon. Amanda, Grace’s oldest sister who was married and 24 years old at the time, contracted a liver condition and was seriously ill in one of the wagons during the entire six-week trip. The trip was tiring. Nights were long and anxiety-filled. They slept in the wilds with rattlesnakes so close that sleep was difficult. Food was baked over rocks. By the time they arrived in Richmond, several other families joined them and they all traveled together.

One day as they reached Willow Springs, they stopped to fill their water kegs on the sides of their wagons. Indians met them and continually pestered them for food throughout the rest of the trip. They reached House Rock and ferried across the river and then traveled through the Petrified Forest with their six span team of horses. The mud and mire was so deep that it reached the horses bellies.

On October 14, Uncle John Bushman took several of his children and some melons and went up the road about four miles to meet his older brother Jacob and his family. The two brothers were overjoyed to see each other and everyone enjoyed the melons. Included in Jacob’s traveling party were the families of H. Wilcox and John Sabey, who had married sister Amanda in 1879. After showing the families around for two days, and sharing with them some corn and molasses, the Bushman family was sent on to Concho, eight miles from St. Johns. They settled there for two years. Jacob built a log home and they were rather comfortable until the terrific rainstorms and floods came. The floods were so treacherous that they were forced to return to St. Johns, where they rented a farm. The children went to school in St. Johns with 500 Mexican children.

Even in St. Johns they couldn’t seem to escape the flash floods. Grain farming became almost impossible. After years of struggle with the elements in St. Johns, President Woodruff sent a letter of release and urged Jacob and his family to return to Utah as soon as possible. On October 28, 1888, they bid farewell to John Bushman’s family, who were staying in St. Joseph. John helped to supply them with a team, as their savings had been quite depleted during their stay in Arizona. They had just enough to make it as far as Fairview, Utah, just north of Manti, where Grace’s older sister, Sarah, and her husband Henry Fowles, lived. There they were able to buy a piece of land. By now Grace was 15 years old. It must have been hard for her to feel like the family was starting over again. Grace and her three younger siblings, Jacob, Ida, and Ella were still living at home. While living in Fairview, they probably attended school at the Wasatch Academy in nearby Mt. Pleasant.

Fairview had incorporated as a city in 1872 just before the final treaty of peace with the Indians was signed in Mt. Pleasant just six miles from there. With the end of the Black Hawk war, farmers were left at liberty to till the soil unmolested. Irrigations ditches were constructed and mercantile establishments opened. Saw mills were built to help supply lumber and the first co-op store was opened with dry goods, groceries, farm implements and machinery, lumber, sheep and grain.

The Bushman homestead consisted of a grove of cedar trees and dry sagebrush on a hillside. By using a big drag pulled by a team, father Jacob cleared the land on a rising knoll about one and a half miles north of Fairview. At first they lived in a log cabin there, and later built a new home where Jacob and Charlotte would spend the rest of their lives.
In 1890 the Rio Grande Western railroad was completed through the city of Fairview. It opened up a highway of commerce for all home products, and “put Fairview in communication with the markets of the world. . . thereby making of this city one of the leading shipping points of Sanpete county.”

Perhaps it was this railroad that led Grace into the town of Thistle in 1892. Thistle was located at the triple junction of transportation systems leading south to Sanpete County, east to the coal counties of Carbon and Emery and points beyond, and northwest to the Wasatch Front and Salt Lake City. The town of Thistle expanded and contracted with the fortunes of the railroad, reaching its heyday in the early 1900s. By 1917 six hundred residents lived in Thistle.

One of these residents was a handsome twenty-five year old Swede named Emanuel Richard Lundquist. Emanuel lived in Thistle fifteen months where he worked in the mercantile business. Emanuel had faced some bad luck and, according to his own account, had made some “unfortunate choices:”

Through the necessity of having to go anywhere and everywhere for work, associating with all classes and kinds of people, I became further and further led, unknowingly to the path of error. As I now see and understand, no other results could have followed.

While being engaged in the mercantile business for some 15 months at Thistle, I lost all, and more, that I had previously gained by working myself in debt hundreds of dollars through thoughtless and unprofitable investments, and also aiming to help others who by carelessness and wreckless neglect have been overcome and failed in business. I, however, gained a great deal of valuable experience which I could not have obtained through any other source.

However, during these hard times, a wonderful blessing came into his life–her name, Grace Honor Bushman. Perhaps on an outing with friends to Thistle, Grace may have wandered into the store where Emanuel worked. They met and courted. The train depot in Thistle must have been a joyful place of rendevous for these two. Grace was eighteen and a half years old and Emanuel was 24 when they married several months later on January 6, 1892, in Thistle. Justice Greenman performed the ceremony.

In the summer of 1892 they moved from Thistle to Lehi where Grace had been born and where many of her relatives lived. After a few months there, “owing to poor prospects,” they moved to Salt Lake and lived in a home Emanuel had previously built. Times were hard. They owed more on the house than it was worth. However, with some hard work and many trying encounters, they were able to clear the house, but then turned around to mortgage it so they could go into the grocery business.

Emanuel had had an interesting life before meeting Grace. He was born in Broten, Anneharad, Sweden, on March 13, 1867. He was a boy of quiet disposition with a life filled with disasters and accidents. When he was six years old, he fell into a well of water and believed he was miraculously saved.

Then, at age eleven, while clearing brush from the woods, he and his brother were crossing a small ditch with no bridge. He rolled off the front of the wagon, and fell with his head just in front of one of the wheels. The oxen stopped just as the wheel touched his head, preventing his instant death.

In 1880 his family learned of the Gospel of Jesus Christ from a neighboring farmer who often visited their farm. Emanuel’s mother was the only one interested in the message at the time. Several months later, after the death of Emanuel’s father in September of 1880, his mother, Carolina, sold the farm and everything belonging to it for 4,000 crowns and prepared the family to journey to Zion.

On August 26, 1881, they started on their journey. The next day, Emanuel, his mother and three of his brothers and a sister were baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by Elder A. G. Johnson in the city of Gotteborg.

On August 29, 1881, a company of 270 emigrating Saints from Scandinavia sailed from Copenhagen, on the steamer “Pacific,” under the direction of Elders Lars M. Olson, Hans Funk and Christen Jensen. The whole company numbered 279 souls. After a successful voyage, the steamer arrived at Hull, England, September 1, 1881, and the emigrants proceeded by rail to Liverpool, from which place they, together with 311 British and 37 Swiss and German Saints and 13 returning missionaries, sailed on the steamer Wyoming, September 3, 1881, and arrived in New York on the 13th. The next day (September 14, 1881), the emigrants continued the journey westward by railroad train and arrived all well in Salt Lake City, Utah, September 21, 1881.,

Emanuel and his family continued on five miles north to Logan, where he found his first work at Jorgensen’s farm. While there, he had another accident, being thrown off a horse. He was unconscious fourteen hours. He soon recovered but later wrote, “I did not, however, get any compensation except my board for the work I did, and thinking it was customary to work for nothing in this country, I let matters go.”

In 1884 the family moved to Hyde Park, five miles north of Logan. His mother lived there until her death in 1903. Emanuel next worked for Moses Thatcher, one of the Twelve Apostles, doing chores. He worked seven or eight months, receiving $4.00 in cash and $4.00 in tithing orders for a month’s work. By now Emanuel had learned to speak English. Next, he went to Preston, Idaho, where he spent a summer working hard. His pay: a cow. After giving it to his mother, the cow got bloated from eating green lucern and died.
For the next several years, Emanuel found work where he could. He cut wood in Logan canyon, traveled along the Oregon Short Line through Idaho, and later told of wintering one winter in the canyon cutting fence posts near Silver City, Idaho:

While engaged in this line, I had some very rough experiences, sleeping out in a poor lumber shanty on the frozen ground, and not having enough bedding I would lay shivering with cold at night. I had been there but a short time while I nearly split my foot in the instep with an ax. I had to keep this foot tied up in a gunny sack for two or three weeks, and by the time it was healed up, while chopping off a log a slim tree that had been bent under the log, flew up and struck me square in the eye, knocking me almost senseless, and also perfectly blind in one eye, which caused me a great deal of pain and annoyance for some time. But somehow I managed to get myself into Silver City, quite a distance on foot, there an eye doctor fixed me up, so that eventually I received my sight again.

I had great difficulty in getting my pay for this work, but after succeeding, while going down towards Reynolds Creek, a rough-looking man approached me pointing a six shooter at me, with the intention of doing me injury and getting my money. But it appears he was prevented from shooting, until I got away. It was a miracle I did not get both robbed and killed. Out of this money I paid my first tithing, $10.00 to Bishop Maines of Hyde Park, and shortly afterwards reached home safe, in the spring of 1886.

For the next five years he learned the trade of cabinetry and house-building, which he felt successful doing. He found work in Logan at Lundquist’s Furniture Store, then in Salt Lake at Engstrom’s Furniture, where he worked as an apprentice for his board. From that time on, he built a store and two rooms for his brothers in Thistle, a home for himself near Jordan River in Salt Lake, and many other buildings.

Next he found work in Spanish Fork building furniture. Feeling quite happy that his life had not been recently been threatened, he enjoyed several peaceful years. He later reported:

For quite a number of years now I had seemingly gone through without any dangerous attacks of any note, but before five years were up, I was confronted by some ugly and serious disturbances which threatened my life more than ever. I had once jumped through a window to escape being shot with a Winchester rifle, and a great many other occurrences of a similar nature. I did not know at the time of all these happenings that a certain evil power was aiming and very determined to end my life, and I was even overtaken by strong impressions of self destruction through despondency, etc.

I am now, however, well aware of the fact that I had a certain work to perform and was not destined to be taken quite so soon. If I had been as attentive as I should have been in the performance of my duties in the church, I would surely have avoided a great deal, if not all, of this trouble. When we are negligent in these things, the adversary or the destroyer has power over us, sometimes to the taking of our lives.

After less than a year in Spanish Fork, he went back to Thistle, where he worked in the mercantile business and met Grace. After moving back to Salt Lake, their grocery business was fairly successful. Their home and store was located at 220 J. Street, then later moved to 585 Fifth Avenue. From there you could look down to the city center where the Salt Lake Temple was being completed.

In 1890, President Woodruff issued the Manifesto, which brought an end to the practice of polygamy. Following this declaration, polygamists received amnesty and church property, which had been held by the Federal Government, was returned to the Church. By 1893, the Salt Lake Temple was complete and ready for dedication.

The Union Pacific Railroad published a twenty-four page booklet announcing the event and advertising the routes to the valley. The Chicago Tribune described the temple as “ablaze with splendor.” Around 75,000 Mormons attended fifteen days of dedicatory services at which President Woodruff repeated a dedicatory prayer.

Members of Grace’s family gathered for this event. Her uncle John Bushman, who had traveled to Salt Lake from St. Joseph, recorded the events they witnessed:

All who attended the dedicatory services on the morning of April 6th, 1893 remember the impressiveness of the day. The sky was overcast and lowering, and shortly before the hour of beginning, a strong wind set in from the northwest. This wind was increased to a veritable hurricane, and throughout the morning session it seemed indeed, that the prince of the air was in full control. But the peace and security of the assembly was rendered the more impressive by contrast with the turmoil and storm without.

One week later, on 14 April 1893, Grace and Emanuel’s first child, Clarence Richard, was born. He was followed by Leo Ivan, born 4 December 1894; Ruby Grace, born 6 January 1898; Carl Jacob, born 18 March 1900; Roy Emanuel, born 23 September 1902; Elsie Gladys, born 3 October 1904; Lucille Beatrice, born 15 December 1906; and George Bushman, born 10 November 1908. All eight children were born in Salt Lake City.

The contrast of good and evil always seemed to be evident in Emanuel Lundquist’s life. In 1897, he decided to take a more active part in church affairs. On June 29, 1896, he was re-baptized by Elder John Cartwright in the Salt Lake Tabernacle and re-confirmed on July 2. He had been ordained to the office of a Priest in 1896 and was ordained to the office of Elder in 1897. They lived in the Twenty-First Ward (Ensign) in Salt Lake.

During the summer of 1901 Emanuel went to Fairview to build a new home for Grace’s sister, Sarah Fowles. This work allowed them to clear up most of the debt they had incurred when they built and moved into a new two-story home at 579 Fifth Avenue in Salt Lake. Grace’s mother, Charlotte Bushman, had died of pneumonia in Fairview November 1, 1899. Perhaps Grace and the children went along to visit Grandfather Jacob. Jacob would live another twenty years in Fairview. He enjoyed working in his garden and visits from family members. In her later years, Grace’s daughter Elsie would recall fun Union Pacific train rides to Fairview, where they would visit their country cousins and aunts Sarah Bushman, Ida Anderson, and Ella Barker.  The city cousins enjoyed watching butter being churned, cows being milked, riding horses, and having plenty of cream biscuits and berries to eat.

Early in 1902, Emanuel was called as a presiding teacher of the First Division of the Twenty-First Ward by Bishop Woolley. These years were filled with raising children, and improving their neighborhood grocery store. Elsie, described their home:

The store was on one side of the house with the grocery storeroom immediately behind it, and beyond that, the dining room. On the other side of the house was the parlor. Clear across the back of the home, behind both the storeroom and the living part of the home was the large kitchen with a pantry at one end and a big, black screen-in porch. Dad could lean back in his chair at the end of the table in the kitchen and see through the dining room and storeroom and tell who was coming into the store.

Upstairs over the store was an attic where Dad hung lines for clothes when it rained. It was in the attic that the boys worked on the new invention, the crystal set, which was the forerunner of the radio. Also upstairs was a large dorm for the boys. Carl, the artist, built himself a little studio beyond the dorm under the slanting of the roof. The girls and the parents had two nice bedrooms on the other side.

Elsie remembers their home as a happy place to be. Emanuel built a little cottage behind the house which they rented out. To the side of the cottage was a garden, lawn, fruit trees, berry bushes and the clothes lines. There was also a stable for the horse and buggy and chicken coops. Grace wanted her children to have a piano, so she raised chickens to save money. She loved her chickens and she had lots of them. The homemade incubators sat in the front of the big stove on the oven door in the dining room. With her egg earnings she was able to buy a beautiful upright player piano. (At the time of her death she had seven incubators of baby chicks in the house and 500 chickens in pens outside.)

The cellar held treasures for the store and for the family: big hams, round cheeses, bologna, salted cod fish, kippered herring, smoked salmon, small kegs of dill pickles, gunny sacks of potatoes, carrots, turnips, parsnips, onions, apples, oranges, and bottles of canned fruit from the garden. Milk and butter were kept in a large ice box. The ice man brought ice regularly in his horse-drawn truck. The kids always gathered around when he came, hoping to find chipped pieces of ice that would fall off. But perhaps the biggest treat was the penny candy in the store, a real temptation for the children!

The children enjoyed sledding in the winter, especially as they lived on a hill that ran all the way down to South Temple. The girls played with paper dolls and jacks, the boys made forts and played marbles. In the summer, there were ball games and camp fires in nearby vacant lots.

A horrible tragedy struck the family in 1909 when little two-and-a-half-year-old Lucille set fire to her clothes while playing with paper and matches. She was very badly burned and died later that day on June 11, 1909.,

Just three years later, on May 15, 1912, Grace Honor Bushman contracted bronchial pneumonia. She suffered from chronic asthma and after ten days of sickness, she died., She was only 38 years old. George, her youngest child, was three and a half years old. What a sad time for the family. Her funeral was held May 19th in the Ensign 21st Ward. The scent of lilacs, roses and carnations filled the air at her funeral, where her former Bishop Woolley and Bishop Wallace spoke, each expressing warmth and admiration for her womanly and motherly traits, as well as her devotion to the Church. She was laid to rest in Salt Lake City Cemetery.

Bushman, Grace Honor 1 Bushman, Grace Honor Obit 2012

Her daughter Elsie paid the following tribute to her mother in 1998:
My mother was very beautiful, intelligent and a truly gifted woman. As I remember her when I was 7 years old and younger, she had brown eyes and an abundance of brown hair which she often wore in braids wound around her head like a crown. I cherish the memory of her warm and loving spirit.

She was skilled with her hands in dressmaking, knitting, crocheting, embroidering and tatting. I have a dainty handkerchief that has at least an inch of tatting using fine thread on the border, which she made.

I remember some of the meals we had such as on Sundays with a beef roast, brown gravy over Yorkshire pudding and always a nice cake or pie. I was brought up with a taste for fruitcake at Christmas and plum pudding. Having a store to draw from, my mother did a lot of canning, everything from fruit to jam and chile sauce.

. . . They raised eight children, working together to teach and guide them in school and at Church and through all the trials of life.

My mother was subject to asthma, and when she had bronchial pneumonia, they did not have the drugs to fight is as we do today. As a result she died when she was 38 years old and I was only seven. I remember as we drove to the cemetery that we were seeing lilacs everywhere in bloom.

The family carried on, without their beloved mother. Not long before she died on January 13, 1912, Emanuel was ordained a High Priest by Apostle James E. Talmage, “which ordination,” he later wrote, “ I have estimated higher and placed more value upon than anything I have received in this world so far.”

In spite of their great faith in being reunited again some day, the realities of day to day living and caring for the business became almost unbearable. Emanuel took in several housekeepers, finally finding thirty-year-old Ada Rosa Flory to his liking. She was a hard worker and even saved the household money. Emanuel asked for her hand and they were married on September 13, 1913 in the Salt Lake Temple.

Lundquist, Emanuel and Ada

Ada and Emanuel had four more children: Mary, born May 28, 1914; Florence Edna, born 24 March, 1918, Reid Franklin, born March 15, 1921, and Pauline Elanore (Vicki), born June 9, 1923.

One more tragedy struck the family in 1918. Carl, who was 18 years old at the time was working in Idaho painting signs. He suffered from what the doctors listed as “exhaustion following sunstroke” and died a week later on June 25, 1918 in Salt Lake City. When the family received the phone call from the hospital informing them that their son had died, Emanuel exclaimed, “Oh, he is one of our choicest boys!”

Father Emanuel would not live to see all of his children married and established. At the young age of 57 he suffered a heart attack and died in Salt Lake City. He was buried the next day in Salt Lake City Cemetery. Toward the end of his life, he wrote:

During the last few years I have acted in the capacity of block or visiting teacher and attended to other duties commonly required of an Elder in the church to the best of my ability. I have paid my tithing and fast donations and assisted in administering to the sacrament, and upon many occasions administered to sick people with success. For all these things I have been repaid many fold already in this life, and know that there are also treasures elsewhere in store, which will not fade, and are awaiting me and all others who prove true and faithful to the end

I had a number of trying difficulties and experiences also of late years, but by the power of God and faith in His promises, I have been successful and able to overcome everything in a much more satisfactory manner than before. As dangers of a more serious nature have been kept at further distance, I can now see my way much clearer and have great hope for the future. We have been able of late, by the help of God, to secure ourselves, as a family, with a comfortable home and business, and also have a three-room house to rent. We are all enjoying good health and numerous other blessings too many to here mention.

I was promised in a patriarchal blessing prior to this occurrence that I would have a true and faithful woman as wife and helpmate, which I must admit has come to pass to the very letter. In all, 12 children have been born into our family so far, and are my labors ended yet? I should say, no! I hope I can spend a few years before I get through in doing work for my dead ancestors.

Lundquist, Emanuel Richard obit 1925

Grace and Emanuel Lundquist were a wonderful blend of immigrant and pioneer stock. They came together in a day and age that caused the desert to blossom as a rose. During their short twenty years together, they saw the completion of the Salt Lake Temple, where they were later sealed for time and all eternity, they watched as Utah became our nation’s forty-fifth state in 1896, and they lived and experienced a slice of the American Dream, making their way and raising a wonderful family. As their descendants, we honor their goodness and their memory.

Ann Lewis
April 2007


  1. Lehi Ward Record, FHL # 025,571, Book A, p. 65, line 9 and Book B, p. 40, line 956.
  2. Richard Van Wagoner, Lehi, Portraits of a Utah Town, Lehi City Corporation, 1990, p. 213.
  3. Newbern I. Butt, comp., The Bushman Family, Originally of Pennsylvania and the Rocky Mountain States, Provo, Utah, 1956, p. 14.
  4. International Genealogical Index, http://www.familysearch.org/
  5. Van Wagoner, Lehi, Portraits of a Utah Town, p. 213.
  6. John Bushman, The Life and Times of John Bushman, L. Tom Perry Special Collections Library, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah, (typed manuscript), pp. 16, 19, 20, 21.
  7. Bushman, The Life and Times of John Bushman, p. 29.
  8. Van Wagoner, Lehi, Portraits of a Utah Town, p. 11.

9 .Ibid, p. 13.

  1. Andrew Jensen, Encyclopedic History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City, UT, Deseret News Publishing Co., 1941, pp.423-424.
  2. Roberta Flake Clayton, compiler/editor, Pioneer Women, Brigham Young University, Harold B. Lee Library, (BX 8670.07 .C579p, typed and bound manuscript, no publisher or date listed).  This information was in a life sketch on Lois Angeline Smith Bushman, Grace�s aunt, who also lived in Lehi.  She was 4 years younger than Grace�s mother, Charlotte and married her father Jacob�s brother, John.
  3. Van Wagoner, Lehi, Portraits of a Utah Town, pp. 94-95.
  4. 1860 United States Federal Census, Lehi, Utah, Utah Territory, roll _1314, page 840, image 305.
  5. 1870 United States Federal Census, Lehi, Utah, Utah Territory, roll M593_1612, page 215, image 424.
  6. Van Wagoner, Lehi, Portraits of a Utah Town, p. 268.
  7. Ibid.
  8. Ibid., p. 295.
  9. Ibid., p. 296.
  10. Ibid., p. 297.
  11. Derryfield N. Smith, ed, John Bushman Utah-Arizona Pioneer 1843-1926, The John Bushman Family Association, 1975, p. 27.
  12. Nancy Romans Turley, comp., The Theodore Turley Family Book, 1977, p. 476.
  13. Ibid.
  14. Derryfield, John Bushman Utah-Arizona Pioneer 1843-1926, p. 66.
  15. Turley, The Theodore Turley Family Book, p. 476.
  16. Ibid.
  17. Derryfield, John Bushman Utah-Arizona Pioneer 1843-1926, p. 87.
  18. W. H. Lever, History of Sanpete and Emery Counties, Ogden, 1898, p. 367. (also on http://heritagequestonline.com/ ).  Henry Fowles and Sarah E. Bushman were married 19 April 1888 in Logan, Utah.
  19. Ibid., pp. 352-353.
  20. Ibid., p. 354.
  21. Utah History Encyclopedia, http://www.media.utah.edu/UHE/t/THISTLE.html/ April 2007.
  22. Ibid.
  23. Emanuel Richard Lundquist, �History of Lundquist Family,� copied from the personal record book of Emanuel R. Lundquist by Elsie Lundquist McNabb (Saye), August 1954, p. 4.
  24. Ibid.
  25. Ibid.
  26. Ibid.
  27. Ibid., p. 1
  28. Ibid.
  29. Ibid., p. 2.
  30. Ibid.
  31. The Journey is Their Reward�Tracing Scandinavian LDS,


  1. New York Passenger Lists, 1851-1891, http://www.ancestry.com/ Ship: Wyoming, Line 46, Microfilm Roll: 441, List number: 1283.
  2. Lundquist, �History of Lundquist Family,� p. 2.
  3. Ibid.
  4. Ibid.
  5. Ibid., pp. 3, 4.
  6. Ibid., p. 4.
  7. Ibid., p. 5.
  8. Salt Lake Tribune, 16 September 1893.
  9. Bushman, The Life and Times of John Bushman, p.176.
  10. Salt Lake 21st Ward Records, FHL # 26,729.  See also Butt, The Bushman Family.
  11. Deseret Semi Weekly News:  Charlotte Bushman (60) died 21 November 1899 edition, page 8, column 2.  Found also at:  http://www.rootsweb.com/~utsaltla/obit_DeseretNewsSW.html#1899.
  12. Elsie Lundquist McNabb Saye, Glimpses Into My Early Years, 1991, vol. 1, p. 10.
  13. Lundquist, �History of Lundquist Family,� p. 6.
  14. Saye, Glimpses Into My Early Years, 1991, vol. 1, p. 1.
  15. Ibid, p. 2.
  16. Elsie, Lundquist McNabb Saye, This Is Your Life!, 2003, vol. 1: 1904-1939, p. 2.
  17. Saye, Glimpses Into My Early Years, 1991, vol. 1, p. 2.
  18. Ibid.
  19. State of Utah Death Certificate for Lucille Beatrice Lundquist, 1904, File # 0901967.
  20. State of Utah Death Certificate for Grace Honor Bushman, 1912, File #1204195.
  21. Utah Death Index, 1905-1951, http://www.ancestry.com/ State file # 1912001690.
  22. Deseret Evening News, Obituary, May 12, 1912, p. 14, FHL # 26,985.
  23. Utah Cemetery Inventory, http://www.ancestry.com/ Sexton records, Grave location: N-19-3-2-E.
  24. Elsie Lundquist McNabb Saye, Biography of Grace Honor Bushman, 1998,


  1. Lundquist,  �History of Lundquist Family,� p. 6.
  2. Saye, Elsie, This Is Your Life!, p. 7.
  3. Western States Marriage Record Index, Brigham Young University Special Collections and Family History, Salt Lake County, Utah, vol. 4, p. 17528. http://abish.byui.edu/specialCollections/westernStates/westernStatesRecordDetail.cfm?recordID=418006
  4. State of Utah Death Certificate for Carl Jacob Lundquist, 1918, File # 1802787.
  5. Saye, Elsie, This Is Your Life!, p. 4.
  6. Utah Cemetery Inventory, http://www.ancestry.com/ , Source: Sexton Records, Grave location:  N-19-3-1-E.
  7. Bushman, The Life and Times of John Bushman, Mon. 19 [October, 1925]. �At 2 p.m., attended the funeral of Emanuel Lundquist who died suddenly the day before.  They had a nice funeral.�
  8. Lundquist, �History of Lundquist Family,� pp. 5, 6.

About Ann Laemmlen Lewis

Thank you for visiting! I hope you enjoy the things shared here.
This entry was posted in Bushman Family, Family History, Lundquist Family. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to History of Grace Honor Bushman and Emanuel Richard Lundquist

  1. Pingback: Grace Honor Bushman Lundquist b. 15 June 1873 in Lehi, Utah | Ann's Stories

  2. Rosetta Smith Smith says:

    Hi, Ann. In the next to last paragraph before the death certificate, it looks like somehow the computer put the quote from the John Bushman Journal (1925), which begins “Mon. 19. at 2pm…” right in the middle of Emanuel’s sentence– which seems like it should read: “We have been able of late, by the help of God, to secure ourselves, as a family, with a comfortable home and business, and also have a three-room house to rent.” Is it possible to correct this error in that paragraph? I appreciate all the articles you have researched and shared! I don’t know if you remember me, but my husband Ralph and I were in Reedley Ward from Sept. 1971 to November 1974. We taught school in Cutler-Orosi district when Tom and Susan Hendricks were there, and later the Sjodins! You were in high school at the time. I will message you and tell you how we are related.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s