Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol. 9, p.165
Joseph City is beautifully located on the brow of a hill overlooking the Little Colorado River. Early in 1876 about 200 families were called from Utah by the Church authorities to locate new settlements in Arizona, and to act as missionaries to the Indians. They were advised to live the United Order and were divided into four companies in charge of George Lake, Lot Smith, Wm. C. Allen and Jesse Ballinger.
Wm. C. Allen located on the present site of Joseph City and the first plowing was commenced there March 25, 1876. The settlers made a ditch to carry water to the proposed town-site and built a dam, John Bushman cutting the first logs for its construction. They erected a fort and organized themselves into a branch of the United Order sharing all their possessions and working under a common leadership. Until they were properly established, occasional trips to the settlements in southern Utah were made, but they soon became self-supporting.