Carl Gustaf Larsson Lundquist was born 9 February 1834 in Luckebo, Lerbeck, Socken, Sweden.
Karl, Johannes, and their sister Anna Lisa were orphaned at an early age. On or near December 1, 1834, Karl’s father, Lars Johan Olsson, drowned in Lake Hjalmaren. Karl’s mother, Anna Maja Andersson, died on March 14, 1835.
Karl’s original surname was “Larsson;” however, as Swedish families typically changed their surnames, Karl and his brother Johannes took upon themselves the surname of “Lundqvist.” It is believed the brothers did so as Lund, owned by Count Wachtmeister, was the biggest estate in the parish of Lerbeck.
At an early age, Karl worked as a farmhand until he moved to Amneharad. It was there that he met Karin (Carolina) Ersson, my second great grandmother. Karin was born on September 12, 1832 in Lekvettnet, Socken, Varmlands, Sweden. On November 20, 1857, Karin and Karl were married.
Karin and Karl had nine children: Huldah Maria, Victor Gabriel, Johannes, Aron William, Alexander George, Emanuel Richard, Charles Emil, Eric Benjamin, and Hilma Augusta.
According to Emanuel Richard, the Lundquists were first introduced to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1880 by Olaf Olafson, a farmer living approximately 12 miles south. The following is an excerpt from Emanuel’s personal writings:
He (Olaf Olafson) being in the habit of going (driving) to the Flour Mill and passing always by our place would occasionally stop in and talk of Mormonism and Utah (Zion), mother being the only one in the family who apparently gave any attention to the same. About a year later, however, after the death of my father, we had sold our farm and all things belonging to it for some 4,000 crowns (Krawns), and prepared for journeying across the waters.
We started about the 26 of Aug., 1881 for Gotteborg, and the following day Mother, Charle, Benjamin, Hilma and myself were baptized into the Church by Elder A. G. Johnson at the above named city. We arrived about a month later at Logan, Utah, and remained there for a number of years. About this time Victor, Aron, and Alex came from the East and joined us, and were also baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, but have not up to this time (1921) taken any further interest in it, (excepting Ben who lives in Smithfield, Utah) they, with Hulda, having preceded us emigrated to Illinois. Hulda, Charles, Aron, Victor, and Hilma later made their homes in California.
It was the practice of Mormon missionaries during the 19th Century to advise converts to join church members in America. As told by Emanuel, the Lundquist’s settled in the Logan, Utah area, specifically Hyde Park. It was there that my great grandfather, Eric Benjamin Lundquist, met and married Eugenia Harris. Eric and Eugenia lived with Karin during the first few years of their married life. Karin always called Eric Benjamin “Benny.” Eric and his wife eventually settled in Smithfield, Utah, which is about three miles north of Hyde Park.
The following information comes from Ella Heckscher of Uppsala, Sweden, who did genealogical research for the Lundquist family.
Carl worked as a farm hand from the time he was able to work until he moved to Amneharad. He, as well and his sister and brother, moved from place to place and their whereabouts can be seen from the information below (under “Location of the Children.”) The guardians of Carl and his sister and brother were (according to the inventory after their mother’s death) two men by the names of Jan Anderson of Rosendahl and Petter Persson of Karintorp, both from the county of Lerback.
Carl and his brother took the surname Lundqvist. The biggest estate in the parish of Lerback is called Lund and the owner of Lund was Count Wachtmeister, but the children never lived at Lund. Perhaps they took of name Lundqvist (Ella surmises) after that estate. At first they were called Larsson Lundqvist, later only Lundqvist.
According to the inventory, the children’s father (Lars) was a small hereditary tenant farmer on Crown land, officially valued at 340 Riksdaler Banco (about 30 pound sterling at the time.) On the same farm, their grandfather lived and after him his oldest son, Anders Olson. Later both Anders and Lars lived there. According to the Rocine story (in the Lundquist family history), the children were due some money, but the researcher Ella says that it was a small amount. Whether they ever got it is unknown and it would have taken days of work to research five years worth of records. She feels that since Lars Johan Olson was only a tenant, the ground belonged to the state.
Locations of the Children (by Ella Heckscher.)
Carl Gustaf Larsson Lundqvist:. Lived during his childhood at Karintorp by Jan Jansson Aberg. Moved 1846 to Erik Andersson of Karintorp. Moved 1848 to Pehr Pehrsson of Karintorp. Moved 1849 to Lars Er. Pehrsson, Wasterangen. Moved 1850 to Carl Jansson, Karintorp. Moved 1851 to Jan Jansson in Ballby. Moved 1857 to Amneharad. In 1851 he is called Larsson Lundqvist. In 1857 he is called only Lundqvist.
Anna Lisa Jansdotter. Moved after the death of her parents in 1835 to namndemannen Petter Persson of Karintorp. Moved 1847 to Ojetorp and moved 1848 to the parish of Tjellmo.
Johannes Larsson. Moved to N. Nyckelhult, to Anders Petter Jansson as foster son. Moved 1848 to Pet. Andersson, No. Nyckelhult. Moved 1851 to And. Pet. Jansson. Moved 1853 to Jan Anders Fenelius. In 1853 noted as Larsson Lundqvist, married 1853 to Stina Lotta Andersdotter, b. 10-12-1828 in Lerback, whereafter he became crofter of Angfallet, Gardsjo Agor, moves with his family to Westerangen, Kafsmyra Agor. Moved 1860 to Trunntorp, Karintorps Agor, Norra Lund.
(Abbreviations are Ella’s.)
It was in 1857 when he moved to Amneharad that Carl married Karin. We know no more until we read the biography of Emanuel Richard Lundquist where he reports the birth of the children. Emanuel says that it was in 1880 that the family first heard of the Gospel by Olaf Olafson, a farmer living some 12 miles south of them. He would stop by and discuss Mormonism and Utah. Carl’s wife Karin seemed to be the only one in the family who was interested. About a year after the death of Carl, Emanuel reports, Karin sold the farm and with 4,000 Krawns from the sale, left for Utah with her children.
According to a copy of the Skarsburg Co.1881 emmigration (Family History Library Microfilm #083159) the family consisted of “Karin Ersdotter, Axel Lundquist, Emanual Lundquist, Carl Emil Lundquist, Erick Benjamin Lundquist, Hilma Augusta Lundquist, Hulda Maria Lundquist and Viktor Lundquist.” This means all eight surviving children accompanied their mother to the States. Most of the family went to Logan, Utah, but apparently Victor, Aaron and Alex went to the East. Emanuel’s autobiography indicates that they joined the family in Logan about a month later.
SOURCE: Lundquist family records. Los Angeles marr recs Swedish recs via Ella Heckscher, Uppasala, Swdn. Emanuel Richard Swedish recs via Ella Heckscher, Uppasala, Swdn. Emanuel Richard Lundquist had baptisms and endowments done in SL Temple for Lars John Rosin, Eric Erickson, Carl Gustav Rosin Lundquist, Johannes Lundquist, Alexander George Lundquist. Bap 14 Mar 1905; endowed 3 Sep 1913 and 4 Jun 1920. Carl Jacob Lundquist, son, endowed 1 Apr 1920. (From “Family Genealogy” by Emanual Richard Lundquist). Genealogy” by Emanual Richard Lundquist).
All children except Aaron W. Lundquist moved to Hyde Park Ward 10 May 1884. (Record of Logan LDS 5th Ward, Logan GL Micro #026084, p. 36). Carl and the other two Anna and Johannes Larsson were sealed to Jonas Hansson and mother Anna Maja Andersson 8 Oct 1952. Jonas is first husband of Anna. (Source: FGS of Lars Johan Olsson and Anna Maja Andersson). Original name was Carl Gustaf Larsson. He changed surname to Lundquist in Sweden. Naturalized as Lundquist in U.S. 19 Feb 1981.