Frances Amelia Kimberley Turley was born on this day in 1800 in Birmingham, England. She is my 3rd Great-grandmother and was the wife of Theodore Turley. Both she and Theodore (b. 10 April 1801, chr. 29 May 1801) were christened in St. Martin’s Church in Birmingham.
Here is what the church looked like in 1809:Frances’s parents were Thomas Kimberley (1765-1832) and Sarah Hitchens (1772-).
Here is the record of her christening on 9 October 1800:
Here are some interesting historical images:
Birmingham in 1732Birmingham in 1886St. Martins Church
St. Martins Church today
You can read more about this church below:
The present Victorian church was built on the site of a 13th-century predecessor, which was documented in 1263. The church was enlarged in medieval times and the resulting structure consisted of a lofty nave and chancel, north and south aisles and a northwest tower with spire.
In 1547, although no record is kept to indicate when the first clock appears in Birmingham, during this year the King’s Commissioners report that the Guild of the Holy Cross are responsible “ffor keeping the Clocke and the Chyme” at a cost of four shillings and four pence a year at St Martin’s Church. The next recorded mention of a clock is in 1613. The earliest known clock makers in the town arrived in 1667 from London.
In 1690, the churchwardens “dressed the church in brick”. All was cased in brick with the exception of the spire.
John Cheshire rebuilt 40 feet of the spire in 1781, which was strengthened by an iron spindle running up its centre for a length of 105 feet. It was secured to the sidewalls at every ten feet by braces. In 1801, several metres from the top of the spire were replaced after they were found to have decayed. The tops of the four pinnacles surrounding the main spire were also rebuilt. By 1808, the spire had been struck by lightning three times.
In 1853, the brick casing was removed from the tower by Philip Charles Hardwick, who added the open-air pulpit. The church also contained an organ, the reedwork of which had been done by John Snetzler. However, the pipes were found to be ineffective due to their proximity to the church roof and walls.
In 1873, the church was demolished and rebuilt by architect J. A. Chatwin, preserving the earlier tower and spire. During the demolition, medieval wall paintings and decorations were discovered in the chancel, including one showing the charity of St Martin dividing his cloak with a beggar. Two painted beams were also found behind the plaster ceiling.
The exterior is built of rockfaced Grimshill stone. The interior is of sandstone with an open timber roof, which shows the influence of the great hammerbeam roof of Westminster Hall. The beams are decorated with fine tracery and end in large carvings of angels. The roof weights 93 tons (94.5 tonnes), spans 22 ft (6.7m) over the 100 ft (30.4m) long nave and is 60 ft (18.2m) high.